Connecticut – The southernmost state of New England and one of the first areas of the US to be settled by Europeans. It was one of the original 13 colonies. The state is the third smallest by area but also one of the more densely populated (4th) and therefore also one of the most populous (29th) in the US. That population numbered around 3.5 million in 2015.
By several measures, Connecticut is one of the wealthiest states of the Union. In 2013, the per capita income was just over $60,000 making it number 1 in the US. However, there are considerable variations by area with it having the nation’s second largest gap between the top 1% wealthiest inhabitants and the remaining 99% below them. Much of the state economy is based upon financial services and insurance, with manufacturing also playing a major role.
As might be expected of a more affluent state, crime figures overall are considerably below national averages, though there are exceptions by locality. The overall low crime statistics are indicated by:
- Connecticut is the 6th safest state for property crime (where 1st = lowest crime)
- It has the lowest violent crime rates in the US, making it number 1 in that domain, with a rate that is under half of the national average (ratio 0.41) based upon 1.43 crimes per 1,000 versus a national average of 3.47.
- The property crime levels are 16.28 per 1,000, with the national average being 40.43 – giving a ratio again of under half the national average (0.40).
It should be remembered that by definition state averages do not reflect reality in all local areas. There are some parts of Connecticut that are safer than others and the top locations in safety terms are:
- New Canaan
Safest Cities in Connecticut, 2019
|Rank||City||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Violent Crime Rate||Property Crime Rate|
To identify the safest cities in Connecticut, we reviewed the most recent FBI Uniform Crime Report statistics. A total of 7,639 cities were factored into this ranking with populations ranging from 7,639 to 4,007,147. However, we eliminated any cities that failed to submit a complete crime report to the FBI and removed cities with populations under 10,000.
Overall, data from 8,793 law enforcement agencies that represented more 193 million of the US population helped us draw interesting insights between the size of the police force and incidence of crime.
There are two broad classifications of crimes: violent crimes and non-violent crimes. According to the FBI, “Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses that involve force or threat of force. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. ”
We computed the total number of crimes reported by each city by adding violent crimes and property crimes. We then rated them using the population of the city and created a crime rate as the number of crimes per 1,000 population. Then we transformed the total crime rate variable so that the skewness was reduced and we normalized it so the final number became a score between 0 and 1.
Next, we computed a new variable called Police Adequacy (TotalCrimes / Number of police employees). We consider that the smaller the police adequacy statistic is, the safer the city is. We transformed and normalized this police adequacy variable also, resulting in a score between 0 and 1. Finally, we combined the two scores to create a safety score for each city.